Friday, May 01, 2009

Gradaddy's Little Princess

The chandelier above the dinging table
cast its magnificent glow through the shutters
of the plantation which aged to perfection.
The six courses of delicious dishes were
traded before us, as you and I made
acquaintance with each stranger's face.
This night I was a beautiful Southern Belle.

You have taken me to witness wonders
only most young girls could dream of seeing
From the wandering eyes of Mona Lisa,
To the transparent blue shores of Wakiki.
I have found much inspiration and bliss
from such unforgettable ventures.

I recall the wooden ballroom floor as the
band played loud at the Confederate Ball.
All around us were the twirling and whirling
of couples with their own fairy tale
but in the midst was you and I.
For a night I was Cinderella,
and you were my Prince Charming.

With the tragic loss of my father
I clung to you in times of light and dark.
At family gatherings I sit beside You, my patriarch.
A man that showed me that dreams come
true, and witht hat I found the strength
to become the woman I ahve blossomed to be.

For: My Granddaddy Col. Wallace J. McKenzie
December 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home